Read articles with information about upgrading your San Diego home’s landscaping design. With over 35 years of experience, you can trust the landscaping experts at San Diego Landcare Systems, Inc.
Stunning patio inspiration is available to us at our fingertips, but which route should we go with when doing a patio makeover? Have you ever thought of your patio as the newest room in your house? If you shift your thinking, this “new room” opens up possibilities for designing that space you always desired– even if it is outdoors!
Patio Makeover #1 – Outdoor Dining Room
If you entertain regularly with large meals, perhaps your home could use one more dining room. The patio can be transformed into an elegant dining space with a few practical details. Of course, you will definitely need to have an outdoor dining table and chairs. In addition, a space-defining structure– whether informal or formal– helps to set off the new room. The ideal finishing touch to this patio makeover is an outdoor chandelier.
Patio Makeover #2 – Outdoor Kitchen
When you love to entertain large groups, you may discover that a single kitchen never quite seems to be sufficient. Your patio makeover can end up being that extra kitchen you always wished for. Limitless choices are plentiful for you to surround your outdoor space with all the amenities of a working kitchen. Cook in style, and double your household kitchen options!
Patio Makeover #3 – Outdoor Living Area
Even if your home does not offer an expansive home entertainment layout, you can take advantage of your patio and yard, and there really is no limit. Offer plenty of places to take a seat, socialize, and get together by tactically placing your outdoor seating in conversation groupings. Fire pits, water features and outdoor televisions are enjoyable ways to encourage your guests to have a great time while they delight in your outdoor living area.
Patio Makever #4 – Outdoor Living Room
Why have one living room when you can have two and truly relax in the great outdoors? Outdoor fabrics, weather-friendly cushions, and waterproof furnishings have been revolutionized for practicality and strength, making an outdoor living room much more practical. Design your space to consist of a sofa or sectional, side chairs, a coffee table, and possibly a fireplace, and you’ll possess all the comforts of home– with stars as your ceiling.
Patio Makeover #5 – Outdoor Bedroom
Is there anything more indulgent than going to sleep under the stars? And with an outdoor bedroom on your patio area, you certainly do not have to “rough it.” Hanging daybeds or plush exterior daybeds make for glamorous napping spots. Keep eye-catching outdoor storage nearby to house comfortable blankets and pillows, and you are ready for a nap at any time. The most important part of an outdoor bedroom is shutting down long enough to enjoy it!
Do you need a patio makeover? From concept to completion we can make your landscaping dreams a reality. Call San Diego Landcare Systems at 760-788-8140.
Water gardens or garden pools have become one of the most popular water features of landscape design in the United States. Water gardens are visually relaxing and seem to connect folks to nature. The aesthetic value of water gardens is enhanced by the almost limitless range of design and planting options that make each one a distinct and personal creation.
The place of the water garden is important to its ecology and maintenance, as well as to your enjoyment of it. Sunlight is needed for plant photosynthesis. Plants are important to the water garden’s ecology due to the fact that they produce oxygen, get rid of and recycle nutrients, and offer shade and concealing places for fish and other aquatic residents. A water garden needs to be placed in a location that will receive a minimum of 6 hours of sunshine each day.
However, direct sun at mid-day throughout the warmest months can cause overheating in shallow pools. Locating the water garden so that it can be seen from your house will enhance your enjoyment and enable you to monitor it. You will be able to manage access to the water garden to make sure of the safety of children. An great view of the water garden will likewise help you identify undesirable visitors such as predators.
Water gardens must not be located over utility services. Contact energy bill companies for the location of underground lines. Water gardens should not be located directly under trees since roots hamper excavation and may cause structural damage later.Also leaves foul up the water and over-hanging branches might drop hazardous compounds into the water garden.
The depth of a water garden depends on design and local climate. Many year-round outdoor water gardens have an area a minimum of 3 or 4 feet deep that does not freeze in the winter and offers fish a cool retreat throughout hot weather. Big koi carp, in particular, have the tendency to lose color and end up being stressed out if they do not have a cool location to stay during heat.
Constructing Water Gardens
Building of a water garden can be easy or complex. Water gardens built of fiberglass or concrete take considerable design ability. Earthen and plastic liner pools need less building skills or experience.
Many commercial companies selling water garden equipment offer consulting services on design, building and maintenance. Use your own knowledge and imagination to design a water garden reflecting your creativity and taste.
Water gardens can be fairly expensive to construct and maintain. The cost of design differs with size and the products that are used, however it can range from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. Design plans should be reviewed by local government agencies to guarantee that the proposed pool abides by all building regulations.
Water gardens may be irregular or geometric in shape. Irregularly shaped water gardens have a natural appearance, while the geometric shapes appear more formal. Prior to you beginning construction, try setting out possible water garden designs using a garden hose or rope.
Whether your water garden is a plastic tub or a visual marvel, excellent water quality is important. Poor quality water makes the water garden less attractive and can damage fish and plants. Once the essentials of water quality are known, maintenance will be reduced to a minimum.
The first consideration is a supply of good quality water to fill the pool. The most common sources are city water and well water. Surface area water from a creek or pond is not recommended as it might include contaminants, sickness and wild fish, any of which might damage the water garden’s ecosystem. If city water is utilized it has to be dechlorinated before adding fish and plants.
One common error is stocking a lot of fish. A water garden is suitable for fish just as long as it can provide sufficient oxygen and disintegrate the wastes produced. The variety of fish the water garden can support depends upon factors such as the size of the water garden, size of the fish, temperature level, amount of sunshine the water garden gets, whether or not aeration is supplied, and how well the natural or artificial filtration system removes wastes.
A water garden is a remarkable way to take pleasure in the natural beauty of water plants and animals and acquire a better understanding of the complexities of aquatic environments. Designing the water garden and its environments is an outlet for creative expression and enables metropolitan dwellers to add a peaceful, natural environment to their yards.
Adding a stone outdoor fireplace to your backyard space offers heat and sophistication. While bonfires and chimneas are outstanding starters, real stone fireplaces are more sophisticated, durable and they will likely enhance the value of your home. Including a real stone fireplace to your patio will just make it inviting. In addition, a genuine fireplace is more secure and longer long lasting than chimneas or fire pits.
How can you obtain the sophistication and richness of a stone outdoor fireplace at an affordable price? The answer is thin veneer. Real stone veneer can be placed as a facing on fire deserving bricks or fire stones and no one will think you did not build the entire fireplace with solid stones. Why? Well, just since thin stone veneers are made with real stones. They are not cultured stones. This means they are more fire resistant, they resist chipping and fading. As well as if they do get cracked, the color is solid right through the stone due to the fact that they are real stones.
Why Add a Stone Outdoor Fireplace?
Fireplaces can extend the seasons. With a comfortable fireplace you and your family and friends can spend cool spring evenings and late fall nights by a cozy fire exterior. Just imagine drinking hot tea or cocoa, roasting marshmallows and consuming smores by a real stone fireplace in your outdoor living space. You’ll seem like you are indoors, all warm and cozy, yet you can delight in the smells and sounds of the gorgeous outdoor evenings with your loved ones. Winter days can also be pleasurable to invest by your outdoor stone fireplace if you reside in milder environments.
Cool summer nights can make remarkable dinner celebrations. A stone fireplace can set the tone for the whole evening. Switch on some pleasant music and let the crackling of the fire draw your visitors together. Or sit out in the quiet on your own or with your loved ones and delight in a quiet night just interrupted by the gentle crackle of an actual fireplace.
Unlike fire pits or chimneas, stone fireplaces can be safer for friends and family to be around. Fire pits can be dangerous to children while chimneas can be quickly knocked over. Fortunately, a well constructed fireplace with an iron screen can secure your household from stimulates and while the stone walls can secure individuals from getting burned if they accidently lean against it.
How To Use Veneer
Natural thin stone veneer is utilized exactly like fake stones. Just build a fireplace with inexpensive fire bricks or fire stones according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Then set up the stone veneer on the outside of the structure. Nobody will be able to tell if you made use of 1 and 1/2 inch veneer or 10 inch stones. Your key will be safe and your pocket book will be fatter.
Stone veneer comes in a variety of designs from square cuts, round cuts, and even natural looking stones. They cost a lot less to purchase and are easier to install than actual fireplace stones. You can choose form a range of colors and appearances too. They look like genuine stones because they are actual stones quarried from Wisconsin, Michigan, and Arizona pits.
Stone veneer is shipped in simple to manage corrugated plastic boxes. They are just as easy to set up and preserve as fake veneers. Simply prepare the surface area, apply the mortar, then apply the stone and mortar between.
Adding A Stone Outdoor Fireplace
If you already have a fireplace in your backyard or patio and even if you’ve been considering setting up one, a natural thin stone veneer is the method to go. You will not need to change an old fireplace, simply “thin stone veneer it” instead.
However above all else, among the greatest advantages is that you will have less work and less cost when you build a brand-new fireplace by utilizing this stone. A natural stone fireplace will include beauty, security and a sense of class to your patio or backyard. Reduce your costs today using natural thin stone veneer when you build your stone fireplace.
Related articles across the web
Before building a patio you need to believe thoroughly about exactly what you want to get from it.
6 things to think about prior to building a patio.
- Area. Many individuals assume a patio must butt as much as the back of their home however a stand alone patio, possibly in the middle of the yard or hidden among the flower beds has the unique advantage of all the time sun. If the back of your house is in shade throughout the afternoons you need to consider a stand alone patio, especially if sun luster is your thing.
- Size. At the moment your concept might be to create a little patio that you can retreat to from inside. If there is a possibility though that you may put your home on the market sometime in the future you need to build a patio as huge as your space and spending plan permits. Individuals live longer than before and with a lot more free time offered, it is the garden we moving towards. The patio is now an outdoor living-room with cooking devices, comfy seating, possibly a built in bar or even an outdoor fireplace. A large, well developed patio will offer your home additional charm when it goes on the market.
- Style. Your patio wishes to blend in with both your house and your garden. Blue tiles might look excellent with a white washed villa in the Mediterranean but will it at your home? Select a color that blends in with the color of your house. If your garden is formal with straight edges then go for pavers. If your garden has a random landscape, think about natural stone or insane paving.
- Design. Even if you are having your patio developed by a contractor you must still be able to communicate to him what you need with sketches or better still, a scaled drawing. If you are going to build a patio yourself, prevent curves. Aim to make the final size match the size of your chosen paver so that as few cuts as possible are required.
- Plan Ahead. An excellent concept is to purchase all your patio furnishings prior to the build starts but AFTER you have actually chosen a style. Establish your furnishings where you envision it will go once the patio is constructed. By doing this you will have the ability to see to it you have developed a patio with sufficient room for your needs.
- Finishing touches. Gone are the days of fold deck chairs. Patio furniture has begun leaps and bounds over the last few years due to require. It is comfortable, hard wearing and fashion mindful. Pick a color that suits your selected paver. You might likewise consider an outdoor fireplace or chiminea as a centerpiece. A water feature brings serenity to the patio and they can be found in all shapes, designs and sizes. Another thing I would advise is a patio heating unit for when the celebration remains in full swing but the sun is setting quickly.
Related articles across the web
Maximize Your Curb Appeal with These Landscaping Tips
Curb appeal that makes a great first impression to not only you and your neighbors, but also potential home buyers, can increase your chances of selling your home. Maximize your curb appeal by upping your landscape game, to ultimately add value to your home. If you want your home to make a lasting first impression, landscaping is one of the easiest and most affordable ways.
Present a Clear Path
Curb appeal obviously begins at the curb and carries right to the front door. Make sure the entryway to your home is welcoming and clearly defined.
Create a Welcome Landing
Welcome visitors with a warm entrance by creating a comfortable landing. A sitting area, some statuary and even some water features will make your home look inviting and draw in potential buyers.
Don’t Forget the Front Door
Your home’s front entry is the focal point of its curb appeal. Give your front door a blast of color with paint or by installing a custom fiberglass or wood door. Make sure the knob and door fixtures are polished and clean.
Keep Your Landscape Clean
Your landscaping will get dirty over time, and can result in an unkempt exterior. Keep your landscaping features clean and shiny by hiring a professional to pressure wash your sidewalk, driveway and hardscape.
Add Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting
Adding lighting is another great way to increase your home’s curb appeal. Use path lights to light the way, create stunning visuals by highlighting a tree or focal point, illuminate street numbers and mount wall lights to give your home an extra glow.
Make Your Entrance Colorful
Plants and shrubs can add instant appeal to a home’s curb appeal. Trees such as a crape myrtle are excellent for San Diego area homes. They love a hot, sunny climate, can withstand drought and bloom in summer when most trees have ended their show. Look for other plants that are drought tolerant and colorful.
Related articles across the web
San Diego Landcare Systems is a Design Build landscape construction firm. We work with you to design and create a landscape that meets and exceeds your expectations.
As a Design Build landscaping company in San Diego we are able to take your project from idea to completion. We do this with our own landscape designers, installers and contractors. This way, you the client are only working with one company throughout the process. For example you may wish to do an entire landscape renovation. You have decided to add a swimming pool, a new patio with a patio cover, an outdoor kitchen and a new look to your garden area. We can do it all! You don’t need to hire a swimming pool builder, stone mason, landscape installer, landscape contractor, patio builder etc.
There are some great advantages to working with one company for design and landscape construction.
- There is continuity from design to completion.
- Scheduling is easier. Your project will be on time.
- Costs are easier to control, saving you money.
- Communication with one project manager is much better than communicating with several.
So What is Landscape Construction?
Landscape construction involves two major categories: Hardscapes and Softscapes.
Hardscapes are any man-made or non-living fixtures in your landscape. These include retaining walls, decks, stone pavers, outdoor kitchens, outdoor structures (pergolas, gazebos, cabanas, patio covers), water features (fountains, dry stream beds, waterfalls, swimming pools), fireplaces, outdoor rooms, sitting areas and fencing.
Softscapes are the live elements of a landscape. These include shrubs, flowers, lawns, plants and trees. Softscapes can also include other organic elements such as soil and compost.
Landscape Design lays out a plan for how the landscape project will be built. It shows location of the various elements and how each is to be arranged. Landscape designers use form, texture, line, scale, balance and color in order to create a functional. pleasing outdoor space.
Landscape Construction is the actual building and landscaping installation of the project. Landscaping projects can be a single item like a fire pit or sitting area to a complete yard makeover. Construction includes the building of pathways, flower beds, walls, restructuring the topography, and all structural design from outdoor kitchens to garden ponds, patios, swimming pools, decks and more.
Related articles across the web
Have you been searching for a way to change the way your deck or patio looks? Have you considered an open-air room? If so, then an outdoor fire pit or freestanding, pot-bellied fireplace called a chiminea can create a cozy, warm room that you can enjoy even in the harshest winter conditions.
Fire Pits Can Be Used Anywhere and Bring A Beautiful Look To Any Home
The great thing about fire pits is they are great gathering places. A fire pit or fire ring is a great way to enjoy the outdoors year round and gather friends and family.
Fire pits are so good because you can put them anywhere you want – patio, deck or a sheltered courtyard. In simple terms, wherever your group of friends want to hang out, you can move your fit pit to.
Another great thing about fit pits is that they make most any landscape design look flawless. The reason is that they can be found in an array of natural materials:
- Colored concrete
By getting a style that’s similar to your home’s look, you can easily blend it into the existing landscape and give it a relaxed look.
Not only do they come in various materials, they can be found in different designs and shapes – traditional rock fire pits and fire pit tables, to name a couple.
Along with that, you can use the fuel that’s right for you:
- Gel and bio ethanol
- Natural gas
- Wood substitutes
10 Helpful Tips To Remember To Get The Most Use Out Of Your Fire Pit Safely
- Be sure the fire pit is in level, stable ground
- Fire pits need to be placed as far back from combustible materials as they can be
- Use well-seasoned, dry firewood
- Hardwoods like ash, hickory, madrone and maple provide a cleaner burn than softwoods like cedar, fir and pine
- If you want smoke-free burning, go with natural gas
- Use wood substitutes like compressed sawdust-comprised logs or wax-based logs to decrease the possibility for sparks and pollution
- Compressed logs can be comprised of molasses, recycled coffee grounds and some wax, which provides a taller, natural flame with a slight sweet scent to it (not a chemical one)
- Make sure you observe fire ordinances; never use fire pits on windy days or days that have been designed no-burn days
- Always have a garden hose or fire extinguisher handy
- Do not ever leave your fire pit unattended or overfill it
Why Should You Choose A Fire Pit
When you live in an apartment or condo, having a log fire is next to impossible. However, a gel-fueled fire pit makes it possible for you to have a “fire” on your patio. They’re also ideal for patios, porches, decks, gazebos and balconies due to their “no mess, no fuss” feature. They are a great way to have a fire whenever you want.
So, sit back, have a cook-out, roast some marshmallows and gab around the fire pit. Or, just make it a romantic night out, extending those warmer months just a little longer.
A Landscape Contractor Can Help You Build Your Dream Landscape
A landscape contractor help you to construct the landscape you have always wanted. A landscape contractor is a specialty contractor who offers the products and services required for landscape construction; or supplies the management and maintenance needed to keep tasks in prime condition after implementation.
Landscape contractors usually have experience and knowledge of local conditions, such as weather conditions and soil that can affect the result of landscape projects. They likewise typically understand unique challenges presented by a locale where they are working.
What Services do Landscape Contractors Provide?
Landscape contractors are accredited within their state to aid clients with:
- The construction or landscape installation of all hardscape elements (constructed materials such as walkways, decks, gazebos, retaining walls, pergolas, fences, irrigation pipes, sculptures, outdoor fireplaces, outdoor kitchens, arbors, lighting, and fountains).
- The installation of all softscape landscape aspects (natural materials including all plants, soils, mulches, compost).
- Hiring or handling subcontractors (such as painting, electricians, etc.).
- Obtain essential building permits.
- Landscape management and maintenance plans.
- Solve site drainage or hydrology problems.
You will certainly want to identify the scope of services that are required before you engage a landscape contractor. Here are a few things to consider before you continue:.
Determine precisely the services required for your home and make a list of all products.
Develop or Obtain a Map of the Property
It is practical to have a plan of the property so that locations may be easily recognized. Commonly, a copy of the property plat that you received when you acquired your residence suffices to give to the contractor.
Exactly what is My Budget?
For new landscape construction or landscape remodels, identify your total budget for the job. Your landscape contractor should go over the estimated costs with you.
How Do I Find a Landscape Contractor?
Recommendations from friends, local nurseries and garden centers, or by local landscape designers is an excellent way to discover a landscape contractor. Likewise, many landscape contractors belong to their nationwide landscape expert network, called PLANET (PROFESSIONAL LANDSCAPE NETWORK). Check out the PLANET Web website at http://www.landcarenetwork.org for information and a list of licensed experts by state.
It is advised to speak with a number of landscape businesses to evaluate their prices structure, experience, training, suitability, and time availability. Ask if you can go to websites they have worked with to examine their work, or for a list of references. Inspect to make sure they are certified in the state, and if they have employees compensation and liability insurance. Also make certain to ask how they guarantee their work and for for how long.
When you have actually chosen a contractor, get a written agreement. The agreement ought to specify exactly what you want to have actually done, the approximated costs, and the date of completion. Occasionally modifications or additions might be made throughout the work, so be clear what the added expenses might be.
Water rates are increasing all over California, due to our state’s rapidly increasing populace putting even more needs on our existing water supplies. Cities and counties are cracking down, issuing new laws and policies like the state’s Model Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance . This regulation planned to promote outdoor watering effectiveness and reduce runoff. Consumers are beginning to see improved water expenses and are being levied fines for water waste more than ever before. Ron Parks, the owner of San Diego lLandcare Systems, Inc. is a certified water manager and irrigation specialist.
CLCA Certified Water Managers have actually proven they can save water. CLCA Certified Water Managers need to pass a written test to become licensed, finish an irrigation audit and show efficiency at required degrees for one year on real landscape websites, prior to achieving complete credentials condition. There are 2 degrees of CLCA Certified Water Managers, Professional and Basic.
Expert-Level: A CLCA Professional Water Manager have to pass the composed test and manage five properties for one year and remain to manage five properties at or below the water budget developed by the CLCA Water Management Efficiency Program.
Basic-Level: A CLCA Water Manager need to pass the written test and manage a minimum of one property for one year and continue to manage a property at or below the landscape water budget plan developed by the CLCA Water Management Efficiency Program.
Numerous Californians over water their landscapes by more than 50 percent, by utilizing smart choice of vegetation, water conserving irrigation methods, and other water conservation strategies, you can cut down the water use in your home by as much as 60 %! That signifies a big savings on water bills, a clear conscience when it comes to environmental responsibility, and best of all, this type of landscape design means the amount of time you’ll have to squander on maintaining your landscape will be lowered substantially. Efficient water management is not only great for the wallet, it improves landscapes for higher pleasure and adds to greater home values.
Your CLCA Certified Water Manager Can Help:.
- Improve your landscape: over watering result in weeds, vermins, and plant illness.
- Protect your hardscape: fences, concrete, asphalt, etc. erode much faster when subjected to over-spray and runoff.
- Save you cash: Water rates just keep going up.
Saving water saves cash.
Hire a CLCA Certified Water Manager Today!
Do you live in the California? Then you must know that how important it is for you to save and conserve water for your future use. Water is a very crucial part of everyone’s life. People need water for various reasons and without it life is, undoubtedly, incomplete. After four years of continuous drought Californians are realizing that their landscaping must change. Landscapes must use less water through use of more sustainable landscape designs.
At San Diego Landcare Systems, Inc. we have the expertise, certification and have spent over thirty years working as a sustainable landscaping contractor. We can turn your yard into a beautiful, useful and relaxing oasis that uses very little water.
How To Save Water with Sustainable Landscapes
There are certain ways by which you can save water. You have to make sure that you are following those methods properly for coping up with the drought. Sustainable landscaping is one of the best ways to save some precious water. It also makes your landscape beautiful as well healthy for your living. Some of the ways are –
- Limit or Eliminate Grass – Grass is one of the biggest sources of wasting water outdoors. The larger the lawn the more time and water is required for upkeep. You may also want to consider synthetic turf or even grasses that require much less water.
- Right Selection of Plants – Selecting the right plant based on their adaptability is very important. That is why drought tolerant plants will always be best for the places like Los Angeles and San Diego. They are resistant to droughts and will not need much water. So, you will need minimal watering for these plants which is a great advantage over the non-native plants. This can result in saving a lot of water.
- Mulch – It is good to use mulch wherever possible as it is extremely good for conserving and saving some water significantly. It actually reduces the evaporation of water or moisture from the soil and also reduces the population of unwanted weeds. It thus reduces soil compaction and keeps the temperature of the soil moderate, thus saving a considerable amount of water.
- Efficient Irrigation – Many people water their landscape more than what is actually needed. With the help of sustainable landscaping one can reduce the excess need of water from irrigation.
Hire a Sustainable Landscaping Contractor
For saving some water you need to call a professional landscape contractor who will help you to get the best out of your landscape while making it fit the climate. Before you hire a professional contractor you have to make sure that you are getting the best. Here are some steps for you to choose a sustainable landscaping contractor –
- Reliable and experienced – A reliable and experienced contractor who has worked with many clients can surely guide you in the best way. You will be able to get the most valuable advice from them as they are experienced and also have enough knowledge regarding these. They can guide you properly how you to do sustainable landscaping and save some significant amount of water.
- Portfolio – Check the portfolio and pictures of the landscape projects they have already done. This will give you a good idea about how are they going to do. If you like their work then it is good for you and you can surely go ahead and hire them for designing your landscape.
- Customer Reviews – Appreciation for the works are often given through feedback from the clients. So, it is must for you to check the reviews and feedback from previous clients. .
- Professional Service – Make sure that the service they are providing is enough for you and covers all your needs. The services include many things like – clearing the land, ensuring adequate drainage, proper irrigation system, speciality gardens, safety measures, promoting environmental health and eliminate excess use of water in the landscaping or gardening.
The best way to cover all your bases is by hiring a design & build landscape contractor who can take your project through the entire process from to deign to construction to completion.. Be sure to choose the best San Diego sustainable landscaping contractor for you that will give you the water efficient yard you desire.
Related articles across the web