Do you live in the California? Then you must know that how important it is for you to save and conserve water for your future use. Water is a very crucial part of everyone’s life. People need water for various reasons and without it life is, undoubtedly, incomplete. After four years of continuous drought Californians are realizing that their landscaping must change. Landscapes must use less water through use of more sustainable landscape designs.
At San Diego Landcare Systems, Inc. we have the expertise, certification and have spent over thirty years working as a sustainable landscaping contractor. We can turn your yard into a beautiful, useful and relaxing oasis that uses very little water.
How To Save Water with Sustainable Landscapes
There are certain ways by which you can save water. You have to make sure that you are following those methods properly for coping up with the drought. Sustainable landscaping is one of the best ways to save some precious water. It also makes your landscape beautiful as well healthy for your living. Some of the ways are –
- Limit or Eliminate Grass – Grass is one of the biggest sources of wasting water outdoors. The larger the lawn the more time and water is required for upkeep. You may also want to consider synthetic turf or even grasses that require much less water.
- Right Selection of Plants – Selecting the right plant based on their adaptability is very important. That is why drought tolerant plants will always be best for the places like Los Angeles and San Diego. They are resistant to droughts and will not need much water. So, you will need minimal watering for these plants which is a great advantage over the non-native plants. This can result in saving a lot of water.
- Mulch – It is good to use mulch wherever possible as it is extremely good for conserving and saving some water significantly. It actually reduces the evaporation of water or moisture from the soil and also reduces the population of unwanted weeds. It thus reduces soil compaction and keeps the temperature of the soil moderate, thus saving a considerable amount of water.
- Efficient Irrigation – Many people water their landscape more than what is actually needed. With the help of sustainable landscaping one can reduce the excess need of water from irrigation.
Hire a Sustainable Landscaping Contractor
For saving some water you need to call a professional landscape contractor who will help you to get the best out of your landscape while making it fit the climate. Before you hire a professional contractor you have to make sure that you are getting the best. Here are some steps for you to choose a sustainable landscaping contractor –
- Reliable and experienced – A reliable and experienced contractor who has worked with many clients can surely guide you in the best way. You will be able to get the most valuable advice from them as they are experienced and also have enough knowledge regarding these. They can guide you properly how you to do sustainable landscaping and save some significant amount of water.
- Portfolio – Check the portfolio and pictures of the landscape projects they have already done. This will give you a good idea about how are they going to do. If you like their work then it is good for you and you can surely go ahead and hire them for designing your landscape.
- Customer Reviews – Appreciation for the works are often given through feedback from the clients. So, it is must for you to check the reviews and feedback from previous clients. .
- Professional Service – Make sure that the service they are providing is enough for you and covers all your needs. The services include many things like – clearing the land, ensuring adequate drainage, proper irrigation system, speciality gardens, safety measures, promoting environmental health and eliminate excess use of water in the landscaping or gardening.
The best way to cover all your bases is by hiring a design & build landscape contractor who can take your project through the entire process from to deign to construction to completion.. Be sure to choose the best San Diego sustainable landscaping contractor for you that will give you the water efficient yard you desire.
Related articles across the web
Save Money, Water and Time with Sustainable Landscaping
A sustainable landscape can in fact be less costly and easier to maintain, because it’s designed properly. Far from being a sacrifice, establishing a sustainable landscape can bring you rich rewards and beauty you might not have thought was even possible.
If you reside in a dry and arid environment then your landscaping design is going to take a little more planning than some other parts of the nation. Sustainable landscaping involves utilizing only plants and trees that can endure with much less water than some other plants. There is no point in planting something if it can not sustain itself later on. So spend some time with your landscaping plan and see to it that you have done everything fit to the environment.
Health Benefits of a Sustainable Landscape
Exactly what uses sustainable landscaping friendly plants so great is that not just will these plants succeed even in the hot sun they will likewise have the ability to flourish in poor quality soil. This is a much required quality since places that have a lot sun have the tendency to have bad soil too. So in essence you are eliminating two birds with one stone as they say.
An environmentally friendly backyard, or eco-friendly landscape, needs less chemical treatment and less water. It stands to reason that applying far less fertilizers and chemicals is much more secure for house owners as well as the environment.
The advantages likewise consist of reduced water use and water overflow, and less energy had to cool structures. A study in Arizona discovered that eco-friendly landscapes minimized a/c in homes by 25 percent.
The direct health benefits of a “green” landscape come from cleaner air. Trees, shrubs, and lawn clean the air by sequestering toxins (nitrogen oxide, sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide gas, and dust). These same plants launch oxygen.
One fantastic advantage is time saved. Sustainable native plants require less upkeep, as much as 70 % less time spent on maintaining your garden or backyard.
Combine Native Plants with Hardscapes
Sustainable landscaping frequently focuses much more on hardscapes, like comprehensive stone pathways, gravel flower beds, and mosaic walls, make certain to seek advice from and work with a skilled San Diego area landscaper if you are considering this type of eco-friendly landscape design. At an extreme, you can produce a gorgeous hardscape-based landscape design, which is almost completely comprised of rocks, gravel, and stone, with a few thoroughly placed plants. If your location experiences a lot of drought or water scarcities, this type of landscaping is the very best way to go.
Another great benefit from sustainable landscapes is that they bring in wildlife. Strategy your landscaping utilizing native plantings and you will draw in butterflies and bees, which will certainly then draw in birds and more.
In 2007, a wildfire roared through a canyon in Rancho Santa Fe damaging numerous houses. One house that was spared could have well been saved by the big succulents growing around it. Are there fire-resistant plants? Yes, there are plants which do not fuel the fire and are considered resistant, however wildfires can burn most anything in their path. A fire safety landscape with a defensible perimeter around your home and fire resistant plants and building products can significantly enhance your home’s chances of enduring a wildfire.
When selecting the plants around your residence it is a good idea to think about whether the plant is highly flammable. Plants which are highly combustible include those which can have dry or dead twigs, needles or leaves. Plants that contain combustible waxes or oils and usually have a strong smell or have a sap that is resinous and a strong odor are likewise ones you wish to replace and avoid.
What Plants in San Diego Are Fire-Resistant Plants?
Fire-resistant plants are one that is slow to ignite. It might be killed or even burn in a fire but it is not contributing any considerable fuel to the fire. Plants such as succulents which contain a high moisture content, or deciduous trees and bushes which have leaves that are wet and supple are fire resistant.
Not all, but most native plants will burn more gradually and many fire-resistant plants in San Diego are California Friendly and require less water.
Creating a fire-resistant, protective barrier around your home includes much more than simply choosing the right plants. You must keep them trimmed and maintained. Keep low-growing plants within 30 feet of the house; eliminate dead or dying vegetation and keep plants appropriately spaced. Ensure that the plants aren’t touching each other, in order to prevent flames from spreading quickly. The closer the plants are to your home, the more consideration and maintenance you want to give them.
Here are some more tips to make your landscaping in San Diego more fire-resistant.
A sure means to lower fire threat around the home is to minimize plant product and increase your hardscape as rocks and concrete or swimming pools do not usually burn.
Plants are necessary most of the times (so do not believe that omitting them totally is a good idea) as roots assist stabilize soil.
Use mulch in between to prevent weed development, however keep it a couple of feet away from your home. Professionals think that the benefits of mulch retaining wetness in the ground and keeping weeds away goes beyond the risk of it smoldering.
Luckily there are numerous varieties of fire-resistant plants in San Diego that do effectively. There is likewise a great deal of details out there to help you start changing your landscape. Look into the links listed below. If you are worried about safeguarding your home with much safer landscaping surrounding it and seek the recommendations of an expert, call us at San Diego Landcare Systems (760)788-8140.
Related articles across the web
Did you know that landscape irrigation is accountable for up to 50% of your household water use? An average sized residential lot consumes over 40,000 gallons of water for its landscape each month (enough to fill a swimming pool). You can cut the water usage of your landscape by up to 75% by following these water saving landscape tips.
Water Saving Landscape Tips
- Use organic mulch in bedding areas.
- Aerate and top dress lawns.
- Inexpensive soaker hoses ooze water through thousands of tiny pores all along the length of rubber tubing. Snaked through shrubbery and hooked up to a timer set for early morning watering, they can cut water use by up to 70 percent over conventional sprinklers.
- Convert sprinkler systems to drip and low gallon systems, and install moisture sensors.
- Set your sprinklers so that they are not spraying the sidewalk or driveway. Not only does that waste water, it can also wash polluting fertilizers and pesticides into streets and sewer systems.
- Follow proper irrigation schedules.
- Plant at least one tree in your yard—for shade, for beauty, and for posterity.
- Use drought-tolerant plants.
- Group plants with similar water needs together to
get the most out of your watering
- Direct gutter downspouts and the water drain line from your air conditioner to a flower bed, tree base or your lawn.
For more information on water saving landscape see our articles on Xeriscaping and Sustainable Landscaping. With proper knowledge and training, it’s very easy to maintain a landscape filled with healthy trees, grass, and flowers. A professional landscaper like San Diego Landcare Systems in Ramna can help you build a beautiful landscape for you San Diego home and save you money in the process.
Visit our landscaping gallery for more San Diego
landscaping and irrigation inspiration.